You can get a housekeeping job without any formal education, but you will need to craft a housekeeping resume that sets you apart from the other applicants. A good resume template or resume builder can help you structure your resume to ensure you don’t leave out important information that allows you to stand out.
This guide and our resume examples will also give you some tips to help you craft a housekeeping resume that allows you to get the job.
Additional Information About The Housekeeper Resume
The industries with the highest employment levels in Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners include traveler accommodation, services to buildings and dwellings, general medical and surgical hospitals, nursing care facilities (skilled nursing facilities), continuing care retirement communities, and assisted living facilities for the elderly.
The average salary for a housekeeper, including tips, overtime pay, and bonuses, is as follows:
- Entry-level $10 per hour
- Early-level $10 per hour
- Mid-level $11 per hour
- Late-career $12 per hour
- Experienced $13 per hour
The average hourly pay for a Housekeeper is $11 (Payscale).
Example of a Housekeeper Resume
Corpus Christi, TX
Diligent Housekeeper with experience in a 5-star hotel chain seeking a position in a progressive establishment as a guest room attendant. Excellent communication and social skills and exceptional ability to work in team-centered or solitary work environments. Self-disciplined with a proven ability to solve problems.
Ocean’s Edge Hotel
August 2014-December 2015
- Avoided causing damage to floors and fixtures by adhering to proper handling procedures when using chemical cleaners and power equipment to protect hotel property.
- Performed various duties including cleaning, vacuuming, and dusting twelve rooms daily, polishing mirrors, wiping baseboards, sanitizing bathroom toilets, sinks, showers, and tubs, removing scuff marks, and washing marble floors.
- Increased customer satisfaction rates for the company by 12% by responding immediately to requests for linens and other items.
June 2012-August 2014
- Planned and implemented special projects at clients’ homes and incorporated their input to ensure success.
- Ensured the overall cleanliness of clients’ homes for their return from business or pleasure trips.
- Performed errands as requested, including shopping for groceries and picking-up and delivery of dry cleaning.
High School Diploma
Roy Miller High School
- Cleaning methods
- Customer Satisfaction
- Creative Problem Solving
- Managing supply inventory
- Exceptional communicator
- Chemical cleaning
- Physical stamina
- Mobile cart operation
House Cleaning Technician (HCT) certification
How to make a Housekeeper Resume
Your housekeeping resume should highlight your expertise and show the hiring manager you are the best person for the job. Show them your in-depth knowledge of various cleaning solutions and cleaning materials, and let your personality shine through. Your resume should also follow the rules of writing a general resume but don’t forget to personalize it to suit the job’s requirements.
Here are some of the ways you can personalize your housekeeping resume:
- Using the resume format that best presents your experience and abilities.
- Checking the job description and adding the right keywords and action verbs to your resume.
- Using the right layout for your housekeeping resume.
- Adding a resume summary/resume objective that gets the attention of your prospective employer.
The layout of the Housekeeper Resume
The ideal layout for your resume should have the following:
- The right font and font size. Some of the acceptable fonts include Cambria, Arial, Times New Roman, and Calibri. The font size should be 10-12pt.
- Choose the single or 1.5 line spacing.
- Divide your resume into sections, including a header, resume summary/objective, work experience, education, skills section, and an additional section.
The structure of a Housekeeper Resume
You can consider using the reverse chronological order for your resume because it is the best format. It showcases your experience so it’s perfect for candidates with experience.
If you don’t have much experience, you can use the functional resume format, which focuses on your unique abilities. Recent graduates and people changing their careers can use this format.
The structure of your housekeeping resume should have the following sections:
- The header section
- Resume summary/resume objective
- Work experience
- Skills section
- An additional section (volunteer work, interests, languages, awards/honors, and certifications)
Start with the Header of the Housekeeper Resume
The header section is the first section of your resume, which has your full name, job title, contact information, and a link to your Linkedin Profile or website (if applicable). This information should be accurate so that your potential employer can reach you.
Example of a header for a Housekeeper Resume
Santa Fe, NM
Example of a bad header for Housekeeper
740 Cooks Mine Road
House number 15
Santa Fe, NM
Date of birth 03/01/1990
Is a photo required on the Housekeeper’s Resume?
You don’t need to add a photo because most U.S companies have said they would not consider a candidate with a photo on their resume. Hiring managers also advise against it because it increases the chances of discrimination. If you have to add the photo, ensure it is professional.
Choosing your Housekeeper Title
Each job and company is different, so you shouldn’t use one title for all your job applications. It’s essential to personalize each job title to suit the job you are applying for.
Professional summary for Housekeeper
A professional summary helps you summarize your professional accomplishments and experience. It also introduces your resume to the recruiting manager, so you need to write it well to compel them to read the rest of your resume.
Efficient cleaning professional with experience in the upkeep of homes and hotels facilities. Independent and trustworthy worker.
Work Experience in the Housekeeper Resume
Your professional experience shows your potential employer what you can do based on your previous work experiences. You can check out our resume templates that will help you structure this section in a way that captures the recruiting manager’s attention. Hiring managers like to spend a little more time here, so you need to make it easy for them to read and understand your previous experiences.
Describe your professional experiences on your Housekeeper’s Resume
List the relevant professional experiences under this section. If you don’t have housekeeping experience, you can list any other experience and add transferable skills relevant to the housekeeping job.
When listing your employment history, you will start with the name of the workplace, the position held, and the years of service at each company.
Examples of professional experiences for a Junior Housekeeper
August 2017-June 2020
- Performed various duties, including cleaning residents’ rooms, windows, and common areas, changing linens, doing the guests’ laundry, and keeping storage areas and carts well-stocked.
- Washed and vacuumed hotel and guest property using the appropriate cleaning supplies and housekeeping equipment to ensure health standards were met.
- Inspected the guests’ rooms to report damage, polish furniture, and tidy the spaces to maintain high-quality standards.
Examples of work experience for Senior Housekeeper
October 2014-December 2016
- Conducted training for entry-level housekeepers and other employees every month to ensure they provided the best service to our customers.
- Addressed new employees to explain department procedures and provide assistance where needed, including taking inventory of supplies.
- Created a checklist for daily stocking of housekeeping carts that helped with inventory management.
Education in the Housekeeper Resume
Housekeeping jobs have different educational qualifications, so you need to check the job ad and include the correct qualifications in your resume. There may be a few jobs that will require a bachelor’s degree, but most do not need any formal education since you can learn on the job.
Should you start with education or work experience for a Housekeeper’s Resume?
You can start with experience and use the reverse-chronological order if you have previous experience and start with education and skills if you don’t have much experience.
How to properly list your education in a Housekeeper Resume?
You will list your education starting with the high school diploma, school’s name, location, and graduation year. If you have a college degree, you can leave out the high school diploma.
Example of the education section of a Housekeeper Resume
Santa Fe High School, NM
Skills to put on the Housekeeper Resume
A good housekeeping resume needs to showcase the unique abilities that allow the employee to perform their duties diligently. Most potential employers, especially in top resorts, use ATS systems to filter out resumes that do not have the required housekeeping skills. When you include the additional skills from the job description in your resume, you will increase your chances of landing more job interviews.
What are the main skills sought for in a Housekeeper Resume?
- Comprehensive knowledge of cleaning products
- Cleaning homes
- Polishing surfaces
- Cleaning methods
- Interior and exterior cleaning
- Stocking bathrooms
- Chemical cleaning
- Window treatment cleaning
- Customer service skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Exceptional time management
- Creative problem-solving
- Decision making
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Attention to detail
What skills for a Junior Housekeeper?
- Physical stamina
- Natural cleaning products
- Washing windows
- Mopping and buffing floors
- Polishing furniture
- Mobile cart operation
- Chandelier cleaning
What skills for a qualified Senior Housekeeper?
- Guest amenity replenishment
- Restroom detailing
- Light fixtures and ceiling fans
- Chemical handling, MSDS
- Supply management
- Responding to guests requests
Write the Ideal Resume Hook for a Housekeeper Resume
A resume hook can help your resume stand out and set you apart from the other job seekers. It allows you to showcase your accomplishments further using a quote, personal description, testimonial, or achievement.
Example of a tagline for a Junior Housekeeper
Cleaning Specialist with two years of experience. Exceptional knowledge of cleaning products and methods. Exemplary employee with a proven work ethic, punctuality, and resourcefulness.
Sample tagline for a Senior-level Housekeeper
Bilingual housekeeping expert with more than ten years of experience working for high-end hotel chains. Team player with proven ability to provide outstanding service to guests. Commended for increasing the returning customers’ rate to 34% by providing exceptional housekeeping service.
Additional Headings for your Housekeeper Resume
An additional section on your housekeeping resume allows the recruiting manager to know more about you and the extra qualifications you have that set you apart from the other applicants. Having a resume that helps you stand out makes your job search journey easier and could even help you land a job faster than expected.
Some of the sections we’ll look at in this resume sample include:
Computer skills and certifications in a Housekeeper’s Resume
If you have any computer skills or certifications, you should list them in their section. This is because the average hiring manager takes less than ten seconds on each resume and can easily miss your qualifications if they are in the crowded skills section. If you are proficient in MS Office, you should add it to this section.
Some of the certifications that will look good on your housekeeping CV include:
- Certified Hospitality Housekeeping Executive (CHHE) Online program
- Certificate in Housekeeping services.
- Certified Housekeeping Manager
Interests in a Housekeeper Resume
Every employer wants a well-rounded person, so don’t shy away from adding your interests. Some of the interests you can add include hiking, baking, reading, and helping with deep cleaning at a children’s shelter.
Languages in a Housekeeper Resume
Housekeepers interact with many people, which makes a bilingual candidate very appealing to the recruiting manager. If you are proficient in multiple languages, you should list them in their section using the official language reference as follows:
- TOEFL for English
- French DELF (with a score of 60% or higher)
- SIELE for Spanish
Summary: Key Points for Writing a Perfect Housekeeper Resume
The major takeaways from this article are as follows:
- Use the right resume format that best showcases your experience and unique abilities.
- Use the right layout to ensure your resume is easy to read and understand.
- Constantly tailor your resume to suit the requirements of the job you want.
- Remember to add an eye-catching professional summary to compel the recruiting manager to read your entire resume.
Write a Cover Letter That Goes With Your Housekeeper Resume
Cover letters give you a chance to express your passion for the job and mention some of your achievements. It is also a great way to help your job application stand out, so you should accompany your resume with one even when it is not required.
Frequently Asked Questions for a Housekeeper Resume
How do you describe housekeeping on a resume?
You will list your unique abilities and experience to describe your housekeeping expertise. Your educational qualifications and a professional summary summarizing your achievements are also essential when describing housekeeping on your resume.
What are some housekeeping skills?
Detail-oriented, cleaning methods, knowledge of cleaning products, excellent communication, customer satisfaction, polishing furniture, deep cleaning, and reliability.
What should I put on my resume for a cleaning job
You will put a header section, professional summary/objective, previous work experience, education, skills, and an additional section with the volunteer work, awards/honors, interests, certifications, and languages.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a housekeeper?
- Cleaning, vacuuming, and dusting rooms
- Handling client laundry and taking special care of various linens and clothing items.
- Maintaining cleanliness in bathrooms and restocking supplies.
- Preparing rooms for occupancy by deep cleaning carpets, replacing linens, restocking supplies, and emptying trash bins.
- Reporting non-working equipment and any room damage to maintenance requesting repairs.
Check out More Templates for your Resume